Saturday, August 31, 2013

Andromeda

I wasn't up for setting up lots of gear, so just took the camera out. In the center of the image is Andromeda. The galactic core is pretty easily visible, but not much else - it gets washed out in light pollution. The aperture on the lens is pretty tiny, so I'm sure that's part of the issue - maybe I'll try for it with a proper setup next time.


For what it's worth, I shot around 40 lights and 10 darks @ 3.2 seconds, ISO 3200.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Testing the positive-pressure workstation.

On Friday of last week, I decided to run a test over the weekend to get an idea of how effective my positive-pressure workstation would be at its obvious task. I put a first-gen iPad one screen on top of the workstation, and one inside the workstation. I turned the fans on, wiped them both down until I was satisfied at their relatively clean appearances, and then took a look at them this morning.

I made two discoveries. First, the workstation seems to be up for the challenge. And second, apparently it's very difficult for my phone to auto-focus on an extremely reflective surface. That said this update and the images probably aren't worth going through the trouble of taking the DSLR into the shop. I used a sheet of 11" x 17" paper to allow for a semi-consistent reflected image in the screens. Despite the image quality issues, the differences are obvious:


The control display.


The display inside the workstation.
While I definitely noticed one or two small pieces of dust on the unit inside the workstation, I'm not sure that it warrants the upgrades I mused over in the previous post. But again, this was only a test.